Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2018 in Review

I know this is so cliche, but I can't believe another year has been wrapped up and that we're starting 2019. 

2018 was a roller coaster for our family as we started a few new adventures and life changed for us.

In January, we celebrated Ruby's 2nd birthday with family and a small group of friends.  This was the first year not to put on a big to-do and it was perfect for us.  She enjoyed a lunch and a yummy cupcake and was spoiled with too many gifts and lots of extra love.  We cherish this little lady.   On the 31st of the month, Henry prayed with us and asked Jesus into his heart.  It was an incredibly special moment, especially since his pastor who lead him to Christ was also celebrating his spiritual birthday that same day, only 44 years prior. 



February started off with my CASA training during the week.  Even with a handful of years of foster care training and experience, my knowledge was expanded and I was eager to start serving in this role.   Henry was baptized on the 18th and so many of our friends and family were there to show support for him.



The first week of March, I was sworn in as a CASA Advocate and took my first case the same day.  Definitely a surreal experience, one that I'm proud to have achieved but more so to continue serving kids and families in our community.  At the end of the month, we celebrated Henry's 8th birthday.  Sure love this little man of ours and we're so excited to see where God leads him.

In April, we celebrated Easter as a family at church and got to enjoy more trips to the park and family walks at night as the weather warmed up.

The kids painted me a sweet canvas for Mother's Day with their hand prints.  We also got to see M and her dad on Mother's Day at the trampoline park.   The kids had a lot of fun and we loved getting to spend time with this sweet little lady. 

In June, I unfortunately had to have shoulder surgery, but enjoyed lots of quality time with my mother in-law as she graciously stayed here to help me and the kids.  At the the end of the month, Mike and I went out to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary.  We enjoyed a nice dinner, just the two of us. 

July was filled with lots of swimming, trips to the race track and spending time together as a family.  I also started working as an artist with Board At Home parties part time.  I have really enjoyed this opportunity, especially getting to connect with great people and teaching others how to create beautiful boards.  Mike has also helped me tremendously with the business, doing everything from cutting and sanding boards to picking up the slack when I'm working nights or weekends.  Ruby also started daycare on the 30th of the month as I would go back to working outside the home.

On August 1st, I returned to On The Border after a 2+ year hiatus to be at home.  I joined the Catering Sales team and really enjoyed getting to know new people as I learned a much different side of the business than the role I was in previously.  I definitely gained a new perspective into what goes into catering sales as well as guest relations.  While I enjoyed working and learning again, it was a bit of an adjustment at home for all of us.  Later in the month, Henry started third grade. 


October was a BIG month for our family, as I accepted the position of Director of Preschool Ministries at our church. (Unfortunately I had to resign from OTB, leaving a great group of ladies behind.)  While it's a part-time position, it certainly took a lot of prayer and consideration before moving forward.  Of course it takes a family commitment and has put extra work on Mike too, as he keeps up with the kiddos late Wednesday evenings and he's responsible for getting them to and from church on Sundays as well. He's been a great partner in life and he continues to support me no matter which direction life goes.  I am truly blessed to work in a role serving God and loving on families and the littlest members and visitors of our church.  I'm excited to see where God is going to take me on this journey and I'm honored to be a part of a great ministry team as well. Pretty neat to get to serve in the same place of worship that I've attended since I was Henry's age.

November was a rough, rough month for our family as we said goodbye to my Uncle Dave and 11 days later, my Uncle Kenny passed away as well.   While we take comfort knowing they've both been made whole in Christ, it's devastating to know that they aren't here any longer and that their families are hurting in their loss.  Thanksgiving was a precious reminder to love our extended family and cherish the times together as we aren't promised that time together each year.

In December, Mike and I started off the month with a trip to DC.  He and a coworker had a 2 day training and certification exam so I tagged along. We were able to pay our respects to President Bush while he laid in state, toured several monuments, toured the Capitol building, went to the Holocaust museum and to Arlington National Cemetery for the changing of the guard.  An amazing trip and we definitely learned a lot!  I really enjoyed catching up with 3 of my cousins, they are very special to me and so kind to take off a day to spend with me. 






The rest of the month was crazy busy between events at the church (Henry made us so proud during the childrens' musical), Board At Home parties, getting to see Santa, Christmas shopping, CASA work and a quick round of being sick.  Christmas break with the kids and having Mike at home was just what this tired heart needed.  Oh and we also got to spend the evening with one of our bonus babies and her dad at the Dallas Zoo Christmas lights.  Such a precious kiddo and we are eternally grateful to still be a part of her life. 



While 2018 was bittersweet and sometimes downright brutal, we also recognize all the blessings that God provided along the way.  He provided lots of laughter, great opportunities for our family, quality time together, a roof over our heads and reassurance that even when times got tough, He was there carrying us through.

We look forward to 2019 and what it holds for us for we know that God has every worry and uncertainty solved.  Looking forward to the road ahead, especially with my husband and our precious babies by my side.  I pray for each of you as this year begins, that you are blessed with great health and abundant joy.  From our family to yours, Happy New Year!


_

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you and your precious family all of God’s blessings in the New Year ahead! I love your blogs! ... Aunt Jennie

    ReplyDelete